Great first sentences.


Best first sentence you can think of off the top of your head. is the 5th prompt on http://nablopomo.blogher.com/

Ok my head needed a little bit of help with this as I remembered the first couple of words of the sentence I’m about to write but for the life of me I couldn’t remember the rest. So I turned to the book & got the next bit…

‘It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.’

Of course it is from Pride & Prejudice. I have no idea why that sentence sticks in my mind but I know that when I hear it or read it I know it’s the beginning of what I believe is one of Austen’s best novels.

I love the book & how that first sentence leads you straight into the story. I think it’s a widely known quote & one that speaks for the novel at that time. It lets us into the story from the offset; it grips us, holds our attention & we escape into the Elizabeth/Mr Darcy saga from then on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GBE2 Dancing.

Eggs

I'm back